Friday, January 20, 2012

Vintage Quilt

I love a new quilt and I have fallen in love all over again with this one.   This quilt top came in a box to me from my neice in Texas.  She had picked them up wanting to do something with them and forgot that she had them.  Whilst cleaning out her barn she found a box of vintage tops and thought I might like them and well I loved them.   This is the first of many tops and I absolutely love it.  It is hand pieced, yes, the most perfect tiny hand stitches have stitched this very large quilt together.   A traditional 9 patch it is joined with natural muslin .  It has the most beautiful vintage squares and I've captured some of my most favorite for you to see.   I have this quilt on my king size bed and it hangs over the side.   Can you even imagine stitching this top by hand to while away the hours.   I can't.  Give me a machine and thread any day.    I do not have the patience for hand stitching of any kind.  Anyway I took it to my favorite quilter Shannon over at Lucky Dog  and she did one of her favorite designs on it.  I never tell her what I want as  I really know nothing about longarming but let her do as she sees fit.   I've never been disappointed. 

I put muslin on the back as that is what most vintage quilters used for their backings.  It was relatively inexpensive at the time and added versitility to the quilt  .  Can you see the quilting?  I think Shannon calls it cotton candy as its swirls around .





 Here is another shot of the quilting.  I love the way this lady quilts with no pantos.  It's all in her head and it moves so easily from side to side.   In her head.......that's hard for me to imagine.  I took Shannons suggestion and put an orange binding on it.  It was the only color not in the quilt and I have to admit that I like the way it looks.   Here are a few of the blocks that I liked. 




Remember everyone to Keep on Stitchin' instead of just a wishin'

3 comments:

  1. What a treasure you have. Thank you for sharing it with us.

    Hugs, Hildi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the nine patch and Shannon's quilting. Isn't she just the greatest? I can't wait to see the other tops that came in the box.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Quilt is beautiful and I love the quilting, it is just perfect.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for reading and commenting on blog messages. Your comments are always appreciated.